Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sloppy Joe Mix over Rice, Very Unusual Stir-fry, raw veggies

Dinner 7/22 by Juan




• Sloppy joe mix over brown rice

• Very unusual stir-fry

• Raw tomatoes & cucumbers

For tonight's dinner, I wanted to go somewhere new. Instead of my classic seitan, I grabbed some TVP and whipped up this sloppy joe mix. I'd started with The Farm's recipe, but deviated slightly, using sorghum molasses from Sandhill instead of sugar. I'm pleased with how it came out, and it went well with the rice.

I cut up some raw cucumbers (from Dan's garden) and tomatoes (from Ironweed) and served them with a little garlic powder and salt on top as an appetizer.

Finally, I made what I'm calling a very unusual stir-fry, since it isn't really fried. I did start by sauteing the onions, but from there I added soy sauce and vinegar and essentially steamed the other vegetables with those two liquids. I harvested the cabbage out of our garden minutes before it went into the pan. Talk about fresh!

No comments: