Saturday, November 10, 2007

UnTurkey with Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy

Dinner 11/10 by Amy and Juan



• UnTurkey with Stuffing

• Mashed Potatoes

• Gravy

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it was time to start practicing which dish to make for Dancing Rabbit's annual TDay potluck. I decided to try recreating the sadly missed UnTurkey. I have Miyoko Nishimoto's "Now and Zen Epicure", so I armed with the all of the necessary ingredients (minus the yuba), I gave it my first shot. There were definitely some things that I will do differently when I cook one next time. For example, I've ordered some yuba online, so I can make the crunchy outside and hopefully it will help keep the gluten moist. Also, I'll cut the gluten flour with some whole wheat flour so it's less rubbery. On the upside, it was the first time that some of us Bobolinkers have used a knife at the dinner table in quite a while. :)

Mashed potatoes were made with potatoes we bought from a local organic farmer. The gravy recipe was also from the "Now and Zen Epicure". I thought it was yummy, but people seemed to prefer the Herbed Brown Gravy recipe from Joanne Stepaniak's "Nutritional Yeast Cookbook".

Juan's friend came to visit and was sweet to buy us some Rice Dream and Purely Decadent for dessert. It was quite a feast!

1 comment:

Amy Skyhouse said...

The UnTurkey site is no longer up, but you can get the recipe through the archive.org copy of the site: http://web.archive.org/web/20080603034303/http://unturkey.org/

The recipe starts about a quarter of the way down.

Happy cooking!