Friday, November 16, 2007

Potato Knishes, Kasha Varnishkes, Golden Gravy, Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Dinner 11/16 by Amy and Juan



• Potato Knishes

• Kasha Varnishkes

• Golden Gravy

• Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Tonight I was in the mood for some comfort food like my mom makes. This is a meal that I probably make once a year around this time — while we still have potatoes and onions in enough abundance that I don't feel like I'm using up something precious.

Dinner was made with recipes from The New Farm Cookbook. The dough for the knishes was made with whole wheat flour and mashed potatoes and they were filled with mashed potatoes, fried onions, salt and pepper. There were extra mashed potatoes, so people could eat that as a side as well.

Kasha varnishkes (toasted buckwheat groats and noodles) is something my mom used to make all the time when I was growing up. I love it with it's tasty buckwheat, fried onions and bow-tie pasta. My version didn't turn out quite the same (since her recipe calls for egg to keep the buckwheat from becoming mushy), but it still hit the spot. Especially with the golden gravy smothering everything.

The yellow cake recipe was from "Very Vegetarian" and it was topped with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World". I took a photo, but it didn't really capture it well and I thought y'all have better uses for the bandwidth I'm saving by not posting it. :)

No comments: