Saturday, February 2, 2008

White Bean Galettes, Baked Potatoes, and Sweet Potato Pie

Dinner 2/2 by Tony



White Bean Galettes with Sun-dried Tomato Topping

• Baked Potatoes

Sweet Potato Pie with Vegan Whipped Cream

Tonight's dinner is one that used to be in my standard rotating but I haven't made for years. Its a bit labor intensive for a big group but for just the 6 of us it is not so big a deal.

The Galettes are a great summer or winter dish where the topping is really key. I've successfully used roasted peppers, roasted tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and pepper relish. I think any sweet and sour, savory topping could work.

I like making flat breads and crust. I used the same crust for the pies and the Galettes which saved some time. I used our local wheat from Sandhill and would normally use oil but we had some margarine around so I used half oil and half margarine.

The pie is a great fall or winter treat. Sweet potatoes from our garden or other local organic growers can be stored all winter and this is a great dish for sorghum from Sandhill.

A delicious local meal with 75% of its ingredients from within 10 miles.

No comments: