Sunday, October 21, 2007

General Tso's Seitan, Brown Basmati Rice, Veggie Steam-Fry

Dinner 10/21 by Juan



• General Tso's Seitan

• Brown Basmati Rice

• Veggie Steam-Fry

Where have we been? Friday night I came down with a cold and didn't manage to tap anyone for blogging responsibility. Sorry Brian! Yesterday was a no cook night, so Juan and I went into town to watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the $2 volunteer-run cinema. Dinner was a Pizza Hut. I'm sure my cold appreciated the cheeseless pizza with the delightfully oily pan crust — and let's not forget the vegan cinnamon sticks!

So, Juan cooked on his own tonight like a trooper! Unfortunately, I couldn't taste any of it due to my stuffy nose, so I can only describe it for you. Juan made his usual seitan and then made some Bobolink's favorite General Tso's Sauce to put on top of it all. The basmati was pressure-cooked to perfection.

The veggies were prepared using a technique he calls steam-frying. He sautéed onions, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and green peppers (most from Skyhouse's and Dan's gardens) until crisp tender. Then threw in some soy sauce and vinegar and put a lid on for a few minutes. The result is a tender stir-fry of sour veggies. The vinegar was pretty much the only thing I could taste. Such a bummer!

No comments: