Monday, June 18, 2007

Soysage Corn Dogs, Greens and Rhubarb Surprise

Dinner 6/18 by Jan



• Soysage Corn Dogs

• Greens

• Sauerkraut

• Rhubarb Surprise

It's been quite a long time since I've had a corn dog, so this was an exciting meal. I thought they turned out really well. Jan used corn ground up in our mill to make the breading and some soysage that I made yesterday for the insides. They were served with our BBQ sauce and mustard. Which reminds me that it's time to whip up the next batch of mustard so it has time to mellow out before we need it.

I love sauerkraut and it's getting to be the time of year that Bobolink starts talking about how much we should make and when. We like to have enough fresh kraut for snacking and then can a fair bit of it for eating over the winter. This past year, we made quite a lot of kraut and have several cans left over. Sometimes it's hard to predict how many people might be eating with us over the colder months and whether they'll be kraut-lovers or not. Maybe that should be a Bobolink membership question!

The greens were based on Nancy Jane Pierce's Spicy Kale from "From Asparagus to Zucchini" by MACSAC (The Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition), but Jan used black pepper instead of red pepper. Dessert, though originally based on a recipe from the same book (Ruby Rhubarb Crunch, I think), was such a variation that I hesitate to say it was really based on it! Jan put the crust on the bottom and added some of our canned berries from last year. It turned out fantastic and I loved the cakey crust. It made me wish I had some Rice Dream á la mode.

No comments: